Re-printed in partnership with ITM
PCB Bridging Defects
A bridge is comprised of solder that spans across two conductors that should not be electrically connected thus causing an electrical short.
Process and design-related causes of PCB Bridging Defects:
- Excessive volume of solder due to improper pad dimension
- Excessive volume of solder due to improper stencil aperture
- Improper application of solder mask
- Excessive slump of solder paste
- Reflow-related causes:
- Improper reflow profile for solder paste. Check against manufacturer’s specifications.